The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation harnesses the collective philanthropic efforts and community spirit of Royal LePage brokerages across Canada. In its early days, the Shelter Foundation responded to a range of community needs; however, the overall impact was minimal. After surveying Royal LePage Broker/Owners and Sales Representatives from across the country, it was decided that supporting shelters that serve women and children escaping domestic violence would have the greatest positive impact at both a local and national level, while being well-aligned to our business.
Over the last fifteen years, the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation has grown to become the largest public foundation in Canada dedicated exclusively to supporting women’s shelters and violence prevention programs. While we are focused on meeting the immediate needs of women and children staying at shelters to escape domestic violence, we are also interested in stopping the cycle of violence from continuing. Prevention is critical, which is why we also fund programs focused on helping women and children rebuild their lives after violence and programs that help youth to develop healthy relationships.
Through its support of the Shelter Foundation, Royal LePage has been recognized for its commitment to “giving back” to the community, having received several corporate social responsibility awards and significant media attention surrounding Shelter Foundation events.
All Royal LePage professionals are invited to support the Shelter Foundation by: organizing local fundraising events; providing Commission Donations and other financial support; participating in Shelter Foundation events and campaigns; and supporting fundraising activities taking place at Royal LePage meetings and conferences.
- Royal LePage is the only Canadian real estate company with its own charity. Our charitable registration number is: 882531304RR0001.
- The Shelter Foundation officially launched in 1998.
- We have raised more than $20 million to date*, including $2 million in 2014. (*as of Dec 31, 2014)
- Every year, we support 180-200 women’s shelters and other charities focused on ending domestic violence across Canada.
- Our 15 year partnership with the Canadian Women’s Foundation makes Royal LePage one of their largest corporate donors. Through the Canadian Women’s Foundation, we help to fund 40+ grassroots violence prevention programs each year.
- We were the founding philanthropic partner of the Fourth R, a school-based program that educates youth on avoiding risky and abusive behaviors and how to develop healthy relationships.
- Every year, more than 200 fundraising events are held in communities across Canada in support of the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation.
- Each year, Shelter Awards are presented to Royal LePage offices and individuals who have demonstrated outstanding or extraordinary commitment to the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation or their local shelter.
- All Shelter Foundation donors are appreciated and recognized in our annual report. The top 1%, 10% and 25% of donors receive additional mention in our communications and are given a special logo they can use in their marketing materials.